Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus28422 Ignoramus28422 is offline

Default Testing 3PH motor ??

On 2010-03-30, Chief Mcgee wrote:
I have a 20HP, 3ph motor on my lathe. The label says it is a 220/440, but
there are only 3 wires coming out of it. I assume it was rewired straight
some time in the past. Motor appears to be 1940's model. Is there a way
to test the motor to tell if it is wired for strsight 220 or 440 ? The
controls have 440 stickers on them. So I assume the motor has been rewired
for 440. But is there a way to test for sure? thanks, McGee

out of where exactly do three wires come out?

I would look into the control box, see what is the control transformer
doing and what is the voltage of the contactor, that should be proof
enough of the motor voltage.