Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_7_] Steve B[_7_] is offline

Default Making an arbitrary angle in pipe

"Carla Fong" wrote in message

Steve B wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:05:06 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
My neighbor is re-doing his electrical service feed because he wants
to increase capacity to 200 amps. As part of that, he wants to
re-route the outdoor conduit from meter to relocated mast. We found
that his roof pitch is 5 in 12 or 22.62 degrees. He wondered if I
could bend 2" pipe. The short answer is "not well".

I got to thinking about elbows. It's fairly obvious that any arbitrary
angle can be achieved in a given plane with four 90-deg elbows. We
wondered what could be done with 45 deg elbows. I played with Alibre
for a while. Turns out four 45's can't get it done ... but three 45's
can! They go a bit out of plane but not a lot and the two runs can be
coplanar as in up against the house. I was even able to get the
various rotation angles, as if such a thing might need to be
fabricated and welded a priori. I just did that to see if I could, and
how hard it might be to do with Alibre.

Three 30's, like the familiar 3-section flue elbows, might work even
better but I don't know that 30 deg elbows are available in 2". I
don't know that 45's are either, but it seems likely.
Check with a muffler shop. They have machines that can bend it to the
nth
degree, and it comes out nice and finished so the wire can pass through
it.
Inexpensive, too.

Steve
I did think of that. The 2" conduit used for outside feeds is
considerably heavier than exhaust pipe, don't know if they could bend
that or not.

Two things: Don't cost to ask, and it don't have to be perfect.

Steve

3 words: Hydraulic Pipe Bender

Horrible Fright has them to bend up to 3" pipe or rigid conduit for about
$200.

This one is slightly more, but the 'air over hydraulic' is a big help:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97468

The usual caveats about HF quality apply...

Carla

I love wearing low cut shirts cuz then when class gets boring, I can look
down and admire my breasts. textsfromlastnight.com

I have been considering a combination of tubing bender and notcher to make
some frames for canvas work, and some covered with corrugated profile
roofing. Really not rocket surgery, and if you get the triangulation and
cross bracing right, pretty sturdy.

Steve