Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default 568A or B?

zxcvbob wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:

If you are just making a jack to jack, it doesn't matter. If
the church has a hub with a punch down block, the punch down
block will be labeled.

The church has a 66 punchdown block for the phones (I put that in
last week) but not for the Ethernet.

The jacks have 110 punchdown terminals, and they are labeled for
both A & B but the labels don't make any sense. I'm gonna have
to use a continuity tester and figure out the pin-out (I think
it's 1234 down one side and 8765 on the other, where the
outermost terminals are 4 and 5) I may do that tonight.

[snip]

No wonder the wiring label didn't make any sense! I checked the
jack with a continuity tester. This is what I expected:
1 8
2 7
3 6
4 5

And here is what I found (it matches the label):
2 8
1 7
6 4
3 5

1236 and 8754 would almost make sense. The way they did it has a
lot of unnecessary crosses. At least now I know how to hook it up.

Bob