Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old PC router - how to add grease to a berring

On 3/29/2010 12:26 PM ransley spake thus:

On Mar 27, 8:37 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

What's the technique? Dab of grease on your finger, and keep
mashing it toward the berring and the shaft? Spray some
white lith? Greasegun and injector needle?

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

I dont think totaly sealed and soneone else I met said same, I
forced grease in a Rockwell saw yesterday , it looks sealed but
grease went in.

Well, I don't know about *totally* sealed. Probably not a hermetic
seal, just a pretty good one. If you can force some grease in, all
the better.

It actualy went in my old circ saw in the bearing when I forced in
some, but a router has a bearing on the top and any leaking out will
ruin the commutator and brushes I think, It runs great no noise but I
want to do alot of heavy use with it so Im trying to be cautious and
hopefully not burn out the bearings, my manual says its greased for
life, but its old and im sure the grease is dry.

If the bearings seem OK, they probably are. They will let you know
pretty clearly when they're ready to go: they will start making bad
noises, and they usually don't fail catastrophically. I'd be surprised
if you couldn't find replacements pretty easily, maybe even somewhere
nearby that has them in stock. (There's an Ace hardware store near me
that has whole selection of replacement ball bearings.)

- a Usenet "apology"