Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default Miter Saw vs. Radial Arm Saw

"Steve Turner" wrote

Can't speak for the Dewalt, but I picked up a used 10" Craftsman about a
year ago and I've been using it ever since. It stays dead accurate
because I use it for one thing and one thing only: cross cuts. Yes, I
will still use the crosscut sled on the table saw for some things, but
there is no difference in accuracy and for many things cutting on the RAS
is a piece of cake whereas the same cut on the table saw is just plain
awkward.

Only you can decide. I did have a bit of trouble finding "just the right
spot" for mine, but once I did it's never moved and so far it hasn't been
in the way.

I chucked the crappy old wheels that came with the saw and put the whole
business on a Delta mobile base (the model where you install your own
wooden rails).

I've heard enough stories about them getting out of whack that I just made
the decision to use it only for cross-cuts and never move it. Every miter
I've ever had to cut since getting the RAS has been on the table saw, and
my old Delta compound miter saw (which I *hate*) has never left its spot
under the table.

Sounds worth investigating to me. If you don't like it I'm sure you can
always turn it back around on craigslist. :-)

One other thing to keep in mind: Radial arm saws can make one HELL of a
mess! I spent a fair amount of time installing some home-brewed dust
collection on mine (which, once again, I can get away with because I never
move it from its cross-cut position) and it catches 99% of the sawdust
these things typically spew all over the damn shop. You might find
yourself wanting to do the same thing after the first few cuts. :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

My experience is almost the same except my RAS was bought new close to
thirty years ago. I didn't have a table saw until about ten years later.
I "tuned" the RAS 5-6 years ago to use strictly for crosscuts and it is dead
on. If I have a crosscut beyond the capacity of the RAS, I use the table
saw if the board isn't "too" long and a circular saw and guide for anything
else.
I recently bought the 12" Milwaukee SCMS for crown molding but I still use
my previous methods for what I've stated.

Max