Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default Towbars and approval?

In message , Adrian
writes
"Dave H." gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

Seeing a lot of towbars that fit the car on Ebay, is it necessary to
have 'em professionally fitted (will insurers, the DoT etc. insist on
it) or is it something a competent DIY mechanic can do given the correct
fittings / big drill / crushtubes for the chassis members?

How new's the car? If it's post-98, they need to have EC approval for the
car, which needs them to use the manufacturer's install points - so very
little drilling etc. Multiplexed electrics on newer cars will mean wiring
probably needs a specific kit, too.

There's no requirement to have 'em pro-fitted, even on a brand spankin'
car.

Yup, just fitted one to our 2000 Mondeo. Used a new Witter towbar

It was an easy enough job as such things go. A couple of the spacers
that go inside the chassis members we a bit of a tight fit -I had to
tediously file one down a bit and could on;ly find a smallish fine-ish
file. And access on one side was awkward cos of the exhaust pipe so
tightening up was a fiddle.

Take care of you buy a second hand bar off of Ebay that it has all the
bolts etc., or that you know what they are and can source them OK.
Witter state that they won't supply replacement bolts etc. Other makes
might do the same.
--
Chris French