Posted to alt.home.repair
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default Wood flooring installation advice

On Mar 29, 1:06*pm, "Joe" wrote:
My idea on buying was because I am slow and it may take me forever to
do this. (Hence renting out of the question).

ANy advice is appreciated! I am gettign the wood for free except for
having to buy a few boxes to have enough.

If you rent (or buy) a manual nailer, get the Porta-Nailer, not Bosch.

When you whack a nailer with a hammer, the force pushes down a ram; the
ram hits the head of a cleat (nail) and drives it into the wood. *With the
Bosch, you get exactly *one* chance to drive the cleat because the ram
springs back up. *With the Porta-Nailer the ram stays down until the cleat
is driven home; that means you can whack it as many times as necessary to
drive the cleat. *Believe me, unless you are a pro, you are not going to
drive many cleats with one whack.

--

All the more reason to rent a pneumatic.

Even if you keep it for a few days, it'll still be (a lot) cheaper than
buying.

I wouldn't suggest the manual for any first-timers.

jc- Hide quoted text -

Is the pnematic hard to set up? Can my 5 horse craftsman do it?

Or would the porta nailer that willnot release until it is driven work
better.