Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Miter Saw vs. Radial Arm Saw

RADIAL ARM SAW 10" DEWALT - $70 * * * * *http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/1664498660.html

Thanks.

I have a personal dislike for RASs because one bit me once but with
that said, the RAS is more versitile and the Miter saw is more
precise. Good cases for both. Since you already have a TS, then there
is a little less reason to get a RAS over a Miter but the RAS could
still be used for thing that the TS can't do and it probably cross
cuts wider than even a slider.

Me personally (and this is just my opinion) I strictly use the cut-off
saw for rough cuts and true compound miters. I square up all cuts on
the TS of at all possible. I kind of work in production but accuracy
mode so I can runn 100 cross cuts super fast and I always cut 1/2
long. Then trim square using a sled on the TS. So a RAS being sloppy
wouldn't really bother me too much for cutof but I never really liked
them for doing compounds, so I rather have a miter for that.