Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Wood flooring installation advice

"stryped" wrote in message
Well, I got a good deal on some "Tavern Grade" wood flooring that is 2
1/4 inches wide. It will go in my living room and butt against my 3
inch wide hardwood in the dining room. Any advice on how to install
this as I never hae before.

Also, thinking of investign in a nail gun. I see two types, an air
operated one and the type you hit with a hammer. Is one better than
the other. I see they have a reconditioned hamemr type on Amazon for
54.00. I can get an air one at harbor freight for 150 I think.

It's impossible to say how to treat where your new floor will butt against
the old one without knowing the overall layout. Answers could vary from
starting at that point and butting it up against it cleanly to finishing
there with a seam binder strip. Layout questions: are there any setbacks
in the room that can affect where your start? Will you be reversing the
course anywhere? How square is the room (generally, you like to split the
difference, which won't be possible if you want to start by butting up
against existing). Also, are the two floors the same thickness or has the
original floor been sanded? Is the new floor a contrast to the existing, or
close? This and possibly the sheen on the finish could affect your decision
on whether to use a seam binder. Contrast is good. However, getting new
flooring that is 'pretty close' but yet different than the existing can look
awful (it'll look like you tried to match, but failed).

Nail gun. If this is your first and only installation, there's no need
to 'invest' in a nailgun. Rent a pneumatic from big blue or big orange. It
will allow you to lay flooring closer to the walls before you have to start
toe nailing and face nailing.

jc