Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default is electric heating likely to become cheaper than gas heating in future?

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:26:18 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:57:15 +0000, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

MM wrote:

"Oh, and when I'm not using the room I normally use, e.g. I've gone to
the shops or the library, then the room is still being heated? Have I
got that right? Are you recommending I do that? Heat an unoccupied
room for several hours?"

Just to make SURE you don't have an answer!

I have an answer, it appears you don't have a clue.

If you have TRVs they have a frost stat setting. If you're that anal
that you want to micro-manage heating then use the TRVs to shut off the
heat in unused rooms (but to maintain frost protection). Set the time
clock to cope with your most likely hours of use. When you know that you
are leaving the one room that you wish to be in turn off the TRV in that
room.

You seem to think that a heating bill of £100 per room is some sort of
significant saving. I've calculated my winter heating bill as £40 per
room, using oil fired CH. That ratio fits about correctly given the
inflated price per kWH that you are paying to heat your home using
electricity.

You're already using your oil fired boiler to provide DHW, so I suspect
that your "saving" is largely an illusion. The fact that you appear to
have a problem operating a mechnical control appears to be entirely your
problem.

What a ridiculous suggestion! You expect me to scrabble around turning
off the TRV in one room, turning another one on, spending 30 minutes
doing the supper, f'rinstance, then turn off the TRV...and so on...

This is crazy.

My fan heater switches ITSELF on and off once I choose the
temperature. (All immaterial now, as I need neither fan heater nor CH
since the weather warmed up.)

And it isn't £100 per room, anyway, since that amount is the total
extra amount over what I'd normally be paying. Moreover, I am not
"heating my home" as you put it. The fan heater gets used in any one
room, but only where I am at, including the bathroom.

So it is £100 per room then. The paragraph above says so.

The £100 is the TOTAL amount. The fan heater is used in the room I am
in. So when I am in the bathroom, it (obviously!) isn't on in the
computer room.

And then you turn your central heating on for the coldest nights to stop
pipes freezing.

But I'd turn them on anyway for an extra period even if I was using
the CH instead of the fan heater. Even if I used CH "all of the time",
my "all" would be considerably less than many householders, since (a)
I don't like an overheated environment and (b) I'd set the "off" time
for, say, 11pm anyway. But on the *coldest* nights (-7 deg or more) I
would still want to give extra protection to the pipes at 4am, even if
only for 30 minutes.

What a brilliant idea to waste money.

No one has yet proved to me that I am, since no one has yet explained
how I might have obtained *tageted* heating in the same way from £100
of heating oil over 110 days.

I suspect that you are tighter than the offspring made by a Yorkshireman and
a Scotswoman

There you are completely correct!

and you are living in a dream world.

Here you are not.