Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Barbecue Grill burner replacements

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ignoramus8246 fired this volley in
:

And natural gas, of course, is even better.

So, all you guys really LIKE the combustion products of methyl mercaptan
on your food? 'Tastes like rotten onions to me.

C'mon... a gas grill is useful, but not a _true_ connoisseur's form of
cooking. It's primary advantage is that it's quick and easy to start up.
Those purists who cook on charcoal regularly know that it takes no more
time to light up a good bed of charcoal than it does to pre-heat all the
volcanic basalt in a gas grill.

It's ALSO just as much trouble as a charcoal grill to clean up and put
away. Charcoal "self cleans" the grill until it finally burns out. You
have to deliberately fire a gas grill - and watch it (and remember to
shut it off) to clean the grill after cooking.

Now, if you want "difficulty" in cooking, try barbeque (no! a stupid gas
or charcoal "grill" isn't a "barbeque"; it's a grill, no matter what they
call them at Home Despots). When I cook a brisket or Boston butt, it's
24 hours of natural wood fire-tending from start to finish -- not
including the time to start and stoke the fire.

But then, if you can't tell the diff between gas and charcoal cooking,
real barbeque would be wasted on you.

LLoyd

Yep, real BBQ starts with 4-5 hours cooking a simple roast, then goes up
to 24 or more for full pig or even 36 hours for an in ground feast.

For folks who don't know the secret to starting charcoal - think CHIMNEY...

Toss your charcoal in there a couple hunks of newspaper (see print media
has a use) underneath and light the paper. The smaller chimneys work
good for a Weber kettle sized grill. Bigger ones are available or you
can use multiples of the smaller units.

I made my own out of heavy walled 10" iron pipe. Just used the hand
grinder to slot the bottom and a section of grating welded inside above
the slots for a bottom.

--
Steve W.