Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default If George Bush........

John wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:16:44 -0700, Hawke
wrote:

Everything isn't roses in the U.S. that's for sure. But for the
first time in years at least we are starting to move in the right
direction again. We are now starting to make some of the big
changes that we need to make to improve. Addressing our health
care problems is a good first step. Do we have a long way to go to
get back to where we should be? That's a big affirmative. But
we're still a hell of a long way from Thailand.

Hawke

You are correct, however I'm not sure whether the big changes are
reality, or just window dressing. Is the new health plan really
going to do much for the average working guy?

If he is working he probably has some sort of health plan already,
doesn't he? Every company I have worked for here in Asia has had
medical coverage, of some sort. The cheapest bunch had a company
medic at every site and would pay for all on-the-job injuries.

I haven't read the bill but from hearsay it seems to be mainly day
laborers and the unemployed. who will benefit.

Then by your own admission you don't know very much about how the
health care bill is going to work. You see that the countries in
Asia have taken the step we just did but they did it years ago. The
question is if every other country has already taken the step why so
late for us? Here's why. Everyone knows that we were on an
unsustainable path with our system. The other countries saw the same
facts and made the changes to their systems they thought were
necessary. We finally did what we had to do but only minimally, and
not right away. Things aren't going to change much here for a number
of years but at least we're not still moving in the wrong direction.
The main thing we did was to take some power away from the insurance
companies. They will not be able to rip people off like they were
doing. All countries are in the process of changing from one kind of
health care system to a modern one. There are a lot of different
variations in different places and some are better than others. As
time passes they will change as we see which really work and which
aren't so efficient. The main thing is the over arching goal is now
the same for everyone, to provide taxpayer funded basic health care
for everyone. That was not a function of government for many years.
Now it is accepted by just about every country. With that goal in
mind everyone is now looking to reach the same goal but they will
have different methods for doing it. What will be interesting is to
see exactly what health care looks like around the world in ten
years, twenty years, and longer. I'm guessing it'll be a lot
different than what we are seeing today.

Hawke

You are correct, I don't know much about the health scheme, hell, I
don't know anything about it. Which is why I asked the question: "I'm
not sure whether the big changes are reality, or just window
dressing. Is the new health plan really going to do much for the
average working guy?"
(Note the question mark there on the end of the line)

But, if the government is really intent on overhauling the health
system in the U.S. why didn't they simply rule that the U.S.
government would pay all medical costs by a similar system to Social
Security? Real socialized medicine. I suggest that as a percent of GNP
it would be cheaper.

In a separate post someone mentioned a charity patient - went to the
hospital to have a baby. Room cost was $2,000-something a day.
Certainly this is excessive isn't it? I've staid in some pretty posh
hotels and never paid more then $900 a day, for a single room w/bath.

The government needs to do a survey to determine whether the medical
industry makes an unusually high profit and prosecute them if they do.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...a_fact_gawande

--
John R. Carroll