Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default How to buy a warehouse

Ignoramus8246 wrote:
I keep hearing that commercial real estate is in bad shape. At the
same time, valuations of stocks are up 70% and I would like to
diversify my investments a little bit, as I am mostly invested in
stocks.

I would like to try to buy a small warehouse and just rent it out
forever. This would not be a purchase for a quick flip.

I was trying to find out some basic things, like rents per square
foot, prices per square foot, see listings of what is available, etc.

When I just do web searches on this stuff, I come up with so little,
as if information on this was classified.

I am in Chicagoland and would be interested if someone can help me
get started with some useful pointers or experiences.

Like any other business, this one requires training and experience.
Spend a year talking to people Ig.

I'm also a little surprised, given the following:

With the Fed Funds rate at zero bonds have only one future and it ain't
pretty.

With the tremendous distress and ongoing deleveraging in the bond market it
still isn't certain what any financial services business ir really worth
these days.

With the upcoming need to refinance a HUGE notional value in corporate high
yield bonds begining in 2011, there might just be a shortage ( and therefore
interest rate run up ) of funding for debt.

That you are thinking about an investment that isn't remotely liquid.

The secondary and even primary, credit markets, aren't so far from trouble
that a little frost might set in and then freeze solid in a big hurry. There
is also a good chance that equities in anything that looks like KKR or what
that bunch has been leveraging might go right to hell without much notice.
What can they do besides have a fire sale if they can't roll over their
bridges?

You are truly a brave fellow!

--
John R. Carroll