Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default Barbecue Grill burner replacements

In article ,
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com writes:

REAL charcoal grillers would _never_ use a petroleum on their coals.
It's simple as heck to build a quick charcoal fire without it. Under ten
minutes, max, to a full bed of coals. It takes that long to heat up a
"stink box" (propane grill).

How do you manage 10 minutes? Takes me 45, using the "chimney" style
lighters.

I'm partial to natural chunk charcoal, adding "flavor wood" as necessary,
usually in a cast iron smoke box.

Chunk charcoal lights faster, has no heavy residues like those from
briquettes, burns much hotter (and faster, sorry), and generally gives a
more predictable taste. It is easy and fun to make, too.

Around here, the natural charcoal is so variable I went back to
Kingsford to get predictability.

Which, since it's mostly coal dust, etc, means it (predictably) takes 45
minutes to light. I've been able to manage 15-20 with nothing more than
matches, newspaper and/or the charcoal bag while traveling (limited to
tools on hand - not many), with the actual charcoal made from wood.
Where I've been able to find it bagged I've not had the problems of
great variability that some folks are reporting. When last in the Keys
that was not-esoteric-at-all Publix (big Florida/Southeastern grocery
chain), for anyone in their market area.