Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Help Finding Hardware?

"azotic" wrote in
:

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
I'm going nuts trying to locate a source for a specific size of
wire/cable clip/clamp. Here's a pictu

http://users.rcn.com/gwhite/Misc/Wire_Clips.jpg

They are 3/8" wide, and fit a 1/8" diameter cable. The screw hole is
~ 0.150" in diameter, so they easily take a #6 screw. I have a
couple in my miscellaneous hardware collection. Some have an
oxidized tin finish, and some appear to be bright zinc plated. I
have no idea where the ones I have came from, or how ancient they
might be. They can't be that exotic, given that I have some from two
different sources.

I have tried McMaster Carr, Keystone, Heyco, Digikey, Allied, Mouser,
etc., to no avail. Part of the problem is that everyone calls them
something slightly different. Most of the clips only go down to half
an inch wide, which won't work. The only 3/8" wide clips I can find
are from KMC Stampings, and they have a 1/8th inch hole, which won't
take a # 6 screw.

I need ~ 100 of these for a product I have in mind, so it's more than
I want to drill out, and too few to warrant ordering them custom.
The alternative to these clamps is to do a lot more machining, which
will probably render the entire effort uneconomical. It took me a
couple weeks of pondering to come up with this approach, and given
that I already have enough to build some prototypes, I figured I was
all set.

I've mostly been focusing on electronics vendors, because that is the
most likely source for the ones I have. They could also be used to
hold down tubing on something, or control cables on lawn mowers, etc.

Does anyone recognize these & can you recommend a supplier?

Thanks!

Doug White

H.H. Smith makes them, kinda pricey.

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...px?SKU=9201470

Best Regards
Tom.

That one is for 1/4" OD cables. HOWEVER, it looks like they also make a
1/8" one, sized for a #8 screw, which in some ways is even better thna a
#6. Allied carries them as well!

THANK YOU! I had checked Allied, but didn't find these. So much for
their search engine. As for being pricey, 30 cents each to save a coupel
of machining steps sounds like a bargain to me. Also, I bet I can find
them cheaper elsewhere.

Doug White