Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyone Have Comcast Cable?

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 21:47:46 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

wrote:
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:32:35 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:17:55 -0400, wrote:

Have you looked into internet TV outlets like HULU.COM?
They have a lot of those old TV shows for free along with a lot of
current TV. I really think the biggest change in TV will be internet
delivery.
From another group:

_120+ Sites to watch TV online_

http://blog.unixmen.com/2009/12/120-...tv-online.html

As a TV, a computer makes a pretty good computer. Yeah, I know, you can
plumb it all together, and pipe it up to the real television- yada yada
yada. I don't wanna buy another X hundred dollars worth of crap and
figure out how to wire it and operate it, and figure it out when it
stops working correctly- I just wanna lay on the couch and watch TV.
They have taken that away from me with the near-demise of OTA television
and simple analog cable, and I am still ****ed about it. If you can't
pull it off a roof antenna, you should at least be able to run 1 damn
wire from the wall outlet to the television, no stupid boxes or special
tuner cards, and plug it up and watch it that way. The satt or cable
system should present a feed to the TV that looks just like an OTA
antenna, IMHO.

You damn kids get offa my lawn!

If you have a fairly new TV it has a VGA port in the back that takes a
PC monitor plug directly. I have an old PC connected to my Samsung
40". It doesn't take much PC horsepower to stream internet video.
Hook up a wireless mouse and you have armchair convenience.
The other OPC I have hooked to a TV has a TV out card in it. They both
swap programs with my ReplayTV DVR over my network.

Most modern TVs are really computer monitors in disguise, with a tuner
and speakers crammed in there. (Installed enough of them on the office
walls for the bigshots at work.)

Nope- all my TVs (and computer monitors) are still glass, and they all
still work perfectly. (Damn Sony Trinitron quality). Until they die, or
the picture quality goes south, I can't justify replacing them with wide
flatscreens. (My eyes aren't HD any more, so not much point in HD
televisions....) And it may not take much PC horsepower, but it does
take an big internet pipe, for a good signal. Ma Bell doesn't do DSL out
here, so all I have is an overpriced 384 from another vendor. A fast
connection from this vendor would cost more than the satt dish does.

Old eyes are a perfect excuse for large flat screens. I retired my last tube
(I still have one in the attic) four years ago and wasn't yet wearing glasses
(went from no glasses to bifocals in about six months).