Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Millrite cuts in one direction only

In article ,
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Joseph Gwinn fired this volley in
:

Cause? The Y-axis feedscrew is on the right side of the saddle, so if
the saddle-to-knee gib is loose the saddle will cock one way when
being cranked closer to the column and will cock the other way when
being cranked away from the column. So, time to adjust the
saddle-knee gib. This was easily done, and eliminated the X-axis
motion due to Y-axis motion. I wonder when that gib was last
tightened.

Not for nothin', Joe, but checking the gibs is normally a weekly
cleanup/lubrication task.

Yep, but I don't think people really do it weekly.

Especially, the table-saddle gib, which is quite inaccessible.

I normally expect after one (not over-fed) cut in either direction to
pull swarf in the other.

Yes, and the fact that this didn't work is what got me looking.

Joe Gwinn