Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al 1953 Al 1953 is offline

Default blocking small holes in corrugated asbestos roof

Kipper at sea wrote in
:

On Mar 27, 12:18*pm, Al 1953 wrote:
Hi,
I have a garage with an old corrugated asbestos roof. The roof has a
numb

er
of small holes where the rain gets in. Also, a draught gets in
through ga

ps
where the sheets overlap. Would expanding foam be suitable to plug
these gaps and holes?

Cheers,

Al

Which laps are the gaps in, bottom or side ?. Stitch bolts and plastic
washers are used to fill old fixing holes.

Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone. the gaps are at the overlaps,
at the ends/bottoms of each sheet. I had to repair the roof using some
corrugated asbestos that was slightly different "wavelength" to the
original stuff... or maybe the original stuff had got flattened a bit over
the years. So I have bigger gaps than I would have if the whole job had
been done with identical sheets. Owing to a scarcity of spare sheets to
affect the repair, I have ended up with only 4" overlaps down one strip of
the roof. So the expanding foam will be particularly necessary, for
stopping the wind blowing rain back in, under the overlaps.

Al