Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Hardwood Flooring

On Mar 28, 7:18*am, "Joe" wrote:
"RonB" wrote in message

On Mar 26, 12:11 pm, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

Any advantage of one or the other when considering pre-finished VS
unfinished wood flooring other than the obvious work involved in finishing
the raw stuff?

I'm thinking total cost and durability, etc.

I'm told pre-finished lasts longer but is tougher to install... But I'm
doing the install so...

Pergo and other "fake stuff" is NOT for me so don't bother telling about
it.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
Production Tapping:http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site:http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
VIDEOS:http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill

V8013-R

My wife and I installed about 850sf of pre-finished 3/4" solid Oak
flooring about 14 months ago. *It was our first experience with real
wood flooring, and it took some time, but I didn't consider it
terribly difficult. *It took about four days to lay, including one day
that was about 1/2 lost because of a nail gun malfunction. *We used a
pneumatic flooring nailer. *I have laid Pergo-style flooring on a
couple of occasions and hardwood does go down slower.

After 14 months the floor looks great, with the exception of a couple
of minor dings received during moving........... Oh, and that dropped
pizza stone incident :^}

On the other hand, in spite of using felt and installing the Christmas-
tree nails on 8" centers (every other into a joist) we are starting to
develop a few squeaks in higher traffic areas. *I am waiting to spring
to see if this situation is seasonal or not. *We heat with wood so
some areas get rather warm and dry during the winter.

RonB

did you try to cause/fix squeaks in the subfloor before laying the hardwood
down? *I'll usually end up shooting a few pounds of screws to refasten the
sub where the original nails loosened up.

No, but I suspect it is the hardwood. Our contractor glued and
screwed the subfloor down when they installed.