Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anniversary of an amazingly enduring design

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:59:20 -0500, Wes wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Of course that configuration isn't a tack driver but then the M1911 was
designed for close
in use. Longer distances, use a rife.

Wes

An accurized 1911 will shoot 2" groups at 50 yards. Mine would when I
inherited it (it's a 1941 M70 Colt-manufactured military model, never shot
before it was sold through the NRA, which my uncle had accurized around
1965). But it's gotten a little looser over the years.

As soon as you accurize them, like peen the frame rails to tighten up the slide and such,
I doubt it would pass military acceptance tests.

Wellllll...there are ways to make em shoot pretty damned good and still
be suitable for street duty. And pass MIL tests.

I considered hunting javelina with it, but my SSM Ruger will shoot groups
about half that size (the gun can, but I can't. g).

If I want an accurate handgun I pick my revolvers or my T/C Contender depending on use.

Wes

Depends on the range and the targets. I shoot a lot of .41 Mag out in
the field, and 357 for bunnies and coyotes and such, very accurate a
long way out. Past 100 yrds..I dig out the Contenders

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost