Posted to alt.home.repair
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Old PC router

On Mar 27, 9:10*am, ransley wrote:
I have a old PC router that hasnt been used since 85, im sure the
bearings are dry, should I attempt to grease or lube them in any way
before using it, im worried the top bearing would throw out grease and
ruin the motor, or should I run it till they squeak and burn.

In case you haven't noticed there are one or two smart-a**s here. On
any given day I am too :^}

However, you do have a couple of good comments above. Turn the shaft
by had for a minute or two and if it feels reasonably smooth blip the
switch a few times. Listen to the router carefully as it slows down.
If you don't hear, or feel, signs of roughness, start it up and let it
run for a few seconds. Still no noise --- go ahead and try it with
wood.

Sealed bearings are sealed and the lubrication might be as good now as
when the machine was new. If you feel roughness or if the motor
sounds like it is straining, or slowing down with power applied, park
it and order some new bearings.

I have a 70's vintage Craftsman that was stored for years. I was
thinking about buying another router to supplement up my other
machines a few years ago and remembered it. I started using it again
after several years in the box and it has never missed a beat.

RonB