Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Hardwood Flooring

On Mar 26, 12:11*pm, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
Any advantage of one or the other when considering pre-finished VS
unfinished wood flooring other than the obvious work involved in finishing
the raw stuff?

I'm thinking total cost and durability, etc.

I'm told pre-finished lasts longer but is tougher to install... *But I'm
doing the install so...

Pergo and other "fake stuff" is NOT for me so don't bother telling about it.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
Production Tapping:http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site:http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
VIDEOS:http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill

V8013-R

My wife and I installed about 850sf of pre-finished 3/4" solid Oak
flooring about 14 months ago. It was our first experience with real
wood flooring, and it took some time, but I didn't consider it
terribly difficult. It took about four days to lay, including one day
that was about 1/2 lost because of a nail gun malfunction. We used a
pneumatic flooring nailer. I have laid Pergo-style flooring on a
couple of occasions and hardwood does go down slower.

After 14 months the floor looks great, with the exception of a couple
of minor dings received during moving........... Oh, and that dropped
pizza stone incident :^}

On the other hand, in spite of using felt and installing the Christmas-
tree nails on 8" centers (every other into a joist) we are starting to
develop a few squeaks in higher traffic areas. I am waiting to spring
to see if this situation is seasonal or not. We heat with wood so
some areas get rather warm and dry during the winter.

RonB