Posted to rec.woodworking
LDosser LDosser is offline

Default Hardwood Flooring

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:21:05 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 18:08:05 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

I've been lurking on this thread, as it's pertinent to our situation.
Insurance claim for water damage, about 500 sq ft of hardwood to be
replaced in living room and dining room (continuous floor, so it all
comes out).

Are you on concrete? A few gallons of water shouldn't have damaged
oak flooring unless it was soaked in it. How long was it wet?

We don't know. Several hours, anyway. Discovered it at 6 am on a Monday
morning.

About 30 sq ft of 1.5" boards are seriously cupped.

Amazing. 4-6" boards I can see cupping, but not those toothpicks.
Try putting a finish on the replacement wood, eh? ;-/

I think the contractor called it right. Replacement valid.

Jatoba's happenin'.

It's sure purty lookin'

And does, for a whole long time.

Now we just have to choose baseboards, paint, and tile to go in front
of the garden door.

Painted baseboard makes a nice contrast to the wood.

We're going to go get some paint chips this morning. I still have the
flooring sample. But we can wait till the floor's down before making
final colour decisions.

Go light so the contrast is high. Maybe that Jewish ceiling color,
beige? Booful! gd&r

Who knew that 5 gallons of water from an aquarium could change our
entire decor!

Aquariums can be mighty expensive.

No ****, Sherlock. I got a deal a couple of weeks ago on some fish I've
wanted to have again (last had them when I in high school), tiger
oscars. Fellow had a pair he was letting go for $10 each.

Oscars, eh? The effeminate piranha of the aquarium world.

10 - 10.5 inches long, they is. They'd sell retail for $100 - $150
apiece.

Put them in the 35 gallon tank and realized it was just too small.

$500 later...

Don't worry. You're not even close to being done yet. Wait until you
discover reefs and sal****er aquariums.

Yeah, a Nano Reef will only set you back about $1000. )

Meantime there's a fight going on in the FW tank ...