Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default What material for grill grate

In article
,
whit3rd wrote:

On Mar 27, 3:44*pm, Ignoramus11443 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11443.invalid wrote:
We have a "stainless steel grill" from Sam's club. While the outside
is stainless, the burners, as well as the lower grate, are not, and
have almost completely rotted.

I will hopefully replace the burners, if I can find stainless
replacements. I would like to decide how to replace the lower grate.
...The question is what is the recommended material.

Nickel superalloys, like Kanthal and Inconel X750, do well at
gas-flame temperatures. Short of Boeing Surplus reopening,
I'd not expect to see those on store shelves, though.

The burners and lower grate may well have been stainless. Being
stainless and being magically proof against a harsh environment is not
the same thing. You could perhaps try 316L, if you can get some
"affordably" - otherwise use 304 and expect to to rust out, considering
the service environment. 316L probably will also rot out, but may take
longer. Inconel and platinum are great when cost is no object, but cost
is never no object. For the lower grates, some type of ceramic might be
nice, except that it also might crack and dump all your lava rock on the
burner. A clever ceramic construct would eliminate the need for lava
rock (but still might expire from thermal shock.)

Practically speaking, go see what's hanging in the replacement grill
parts section at your hardware store (or on fleabay) and buy some, not
expecting to have it last forever; they are consumable parts. From what
I have seen of "good" commercial grills, I suspect a cast iron burner
will last better than a stainless steel sheetmetal burner, if use is the
primary wear item. If it's sitting out in the wet not being used that
kills it, stainless sheetmetal may work better.

I get 19 results for: gas grill burner replacement stainless

I'm finding one: gas grill rock grate stainless

and it's a pricey thing (yet also available, indicating non-infinite
life, to me) and only in one specific size that might not be yours. TIG
one up from stainless stock.