Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Ken Lowe Ken Lowe is offline

Default What do you call it/where do you get it?

On 3/27/2010 10:46 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 02:18:53 -0500,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

Looks like all I need to do is make some kind of stand-off so I can
get the camera vertical and the field of view free of the tripod legs.

Mine doesn't have that lower leg support like yours, though, it's just
three legs with a pole down the middle and leg flair is 'stopped' by
the central hinge.

Some tripots let you take the central pole out and stick it
back in upside down. Then you place the legs straddling the
target and ...

Good suggestion. But the central pole won't come out :-(

But it might work to get another tripod head and figure out how to
mount it to the pole slide.

If you can't do that, it might work to make one leg (much)
longer so the tripod is tipped on its side holding the camera
out away from the two close in legs. You would probably
have to place a weight on the long leg to keep it from tipping
over.

That's a good possibility.

...Jim Thompson

I haven't looked at tripods for a few years, but the heads of the ones I
used in the past would unscrew from the top of the mast and reattach at
the bottom. See if yours is threaded -- mine has a 1/4-20x3/8 stud.
Lock the mast and give the pan/tilt handle a good counter-clockwise
whack. I suppose newer stuff might omit this feature to save a few
pennies, but you might get lucky.

Ken