Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default 568A or B?

Metspitzer wrote:

If you are just making a jack to jack, it doesn't matter. If the
church has a hub with a punch down block, the punch down block will be
labeled.

The church has a 66 punchdown block for the phones (I put that in
last week) but not for the Ethernet.

The jacks have 110 punchdown terminals, and they are labeled for
both A & B but the labels don't make any sense. I'm gonna have to
use a continuity tester and figure out the pin-out (I think it's
1234 down one side and 8765 on the other, where the outermost
terminals are 4 and 5) I may do that tonight.

I've about decided to use B. If the jack is wired the way I think it
is, the orange pair (for B) goes on the inner left and the brown
pair on the right, then the green pair gets separated left and right
in the next terminals, then blue in the outermost terminals. To
wire it "A", just swap the orange and green.

If I was evil, I would put a crossover cable in the walls. ;-)

Bob