Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Old PC router

On Mar 27, 12:09*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/27/2010 6:10 AM ransley spake thus:

I have a old PC router that hasnt been used since 85, im sure the
bearings are dry, should I attempt to grease or lube them in any way
before using it, im worried the top bearing would throw out grease and
ruin the motor, or should I run it till they squeak and burn.

Why do you think the bearings would dry out? They're sealed ball
bearings, no doubt. It's not as if the grease is going to be suddenly
thrown out by centrifugal force or anything.

Just to give an example of the longevity of such bearings, let me
introduce my vacuum cleaner. I have a Kenmore upright that I bought for
$10 circa 1980. The cleaner is probably 30 years older than that. It
still works perfectly well, having the same kind of universal motor and
sealed ball bearings found in your router.

So I wouldn't sweat it. As someone else suggested, spin the shaft by
hand to feel what the bearings are like. If it spins smoothly, just use it.