Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_14_] Peter[_14_] is offline

Default Smoke alarm or stink alarm

On 3/27/2010 10:16 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:49:12 -0400, wrote:

I have a house wired smoke alarm. I noticed that a burned English muffin
will set it off even though there is no smoke that I can see.
On the other hand if I leave my wood stove door open too long and I see
a cloud of smoke in the room it will NOT set of the alarm.
Just an observation. I know many false alarms are set off in apartments
and assisted living places because of burned toast.
Maybe it's not really a smoke alarm but a burned toast alarm.

There are two methods used by common domestic smoke detectors.
One is optical, it sees the smoke, the other uses elextrical charges.
Both detect different kinds of fires best. For best protection you
want both. I don't recall which, but one is less sensitive to false
cooking/frying alarms.

The optical detection models are recommended for kitchen areas because they are
less sensitive to the type of emissions that are commonly produced by cooking
and cooking appliances, and produce much fewer false alarms. The ionization
detectors are more likely to give early warning in the case of a slow,
smoldering fire. We used to have a lot of false alarms in our kitchen area
until we substituted the optical for the ionization model in our kitchen nook.