Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_14_] Peter[_14_] is offline

Default Replace Furnace and Get Tax Credit

On 3/27/2010 7:49 AM, Frank McElrath wrote:
I see that the Feds will give us up to $1,500 if we replace our old furnaces
with a high-efficiency furnace.

I've lived in my house for 20 years, and when I bought, the furnace was a
"few" years old. So I am guessing that it is at least 25 years old, and
probably about 65% or 75% efficiency.

Should I take advantage of this opportunity and upgrade?

I am thinking that one of these days, even though the furnace works fine, it
will crap out - probably in January.

I live in Maryland.

I also live in MD. 4 years ago we replaced a 30 y/o gas forced hot air furnace.
The HVAC contractor estimated that the old one was probably about 65% - 70%
efficient at best. We looked at both 92% and 96% models. The incremental
purchase price between the two was substantial and we figured that it would
probably take an additional 10 years of use to amortize the cost differential
between the price of the 92% and the 96% model. Therefore, we went with the 92%
furnace. Our winter gas bills dropped by about 30% with no change in the
thermostat settings or insulation status of the house.

With your old furnace, you're facing a possible carbon monoxide risk (heat
exchangers that old can crack at any time) and if you are planning to stay in
your current house for more than about 5 years, you'll pay for the new furnace
in saved energy costs. (Even sooner if energy prices continue to rise).
Haven't shopped for furnaces recently. If the price differential between 92%
and 96% has narrowed, or if you plan to stay in your home for a real long time,
you might want to pop for the 96% model.