Luigi Zanasi

Default Plywood vs. hardwood for walnut bookcases

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:05:20 GMT, "WORSS"
scribbled

You also need to worry about the span of the shelves. There was an article
a few years ago (Woodsmith?) that did a test on various materials. I
believe you will find that plywood with a solid front trim piece will
provide better "sag" resistance than would solid wood. The plywood will
look just fine and will be much cheaper. I really can't think of any
disadvantage to plywood. That is what I would use (and have).

Woodsmith would be wrong, unless the solid wood trim was much wider
than the plywood. Plywood sags more than solid wood. It stands to
reason as half of the wood fibres are in the "wrong" direction.

Check it out at the sagulator. Just compare the Fir plywood with solid
Douglas Fir, so the species are consistent.

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

Luigi
Replace "no" with "yk" for real email address