Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace Furnace and Get Tax Credit

"Frank McElrath" wrote in message
I see that the Feds will give us up to $1,500 if we replace our old
furnaces with a high-efficiency furnace.

I've lived in my house for 20 years, and when I bought, the furnace was a
"few" years old. So I am guessing that it is at least 25 years old, and
probably about 65% or 75% efficiency.

Should I take advantage of this opportunity and upgrade?

I am thinking that one of these days, even though the furnace works fine,
it will crap out - probably in January.

I live in Maryland.

I replaced my boiler with a System 2000 from www.energykinetics.com So far,
I've not had to put one penny out of pocket to do it. My oil savings over
the past 15 months are 38%. Couple that with a $1500 tax credit, a $500
state tax rebate, and 0% state financing for 10 years, it was a no brainer
for me. The savings in oil more than offsets the cost of a payment every
month. In a few years that money will be going right into my pocket. Oh,
did I mention better comfort with the new hot water system? And the cooler
basement area in the summer?

Do some research on your fuel costs, shop around for the right equipment,
check out state rebates too. Most dealsers know what is available.