Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Working for a living...

busbus wrote:

I have posed this sort of question many times over the past week or so
and I have not gotten any response from the progressives in here. Why
did we have to scrap everything that was already in place and replace
it with a new, EXPENSIVE bill? (Oh, and why was the student loan
program bundled in a freaking health care bill? But that is a wholly
different topic!)

The takeover of the Student Loan program allows the government to make the
profit instead of the existing lenders. That profit can be included in the
health bill thereby lowering its overall cost to meet targets.

Here is my question: Why not fix what is there already? Seriously.
And by fixing, I mean do not change any laws, do not increase taxes,
do not decrease taxes (yet), and take a serious look at what we
already have to clean out all of the bullcrap. The reason is that
government is not in the business of business. And they SHOULDN'T
be-- that is not its role, at least not in America. The only thing
they know to do is to increase taxes to pay for an ever increasing
deficit.

There is nothing in the recent health care legislation that addresses costs.
Cost containment was not the goal, nor was it seriously considered. No tort
reform, no nation-wide competition, no medical savings accounts, nothing.

I have suggested it befo Hire a bunch of Wal-Mart and/or/ Home
Depot and/or Lowes and/or any number of people who have run businesses
and have them come in to clean house. I am 100% sure they will find
tremendous inefficiencies in every government run program. And I am
also sure that they can define processes and procedures that will
drastically reduce the waste and inefficiencies and the nest result
will be a huge amount of money that can actually be given back to the
citizens of this country. That way, the programs that are already in
place will do what they were intended to do, the liberals get what
they want, and everybody will get a little bit of money back into
their pockets.

It is generally bad practice to apply commercial solutions to government
programs (think bonuses for the number of traffic tickets written). The
bigger problem is moving a commercial endeavor to within the government.
Interestingly, moving government functions to the commercial realm often
works quite well (i.e., janitorial services for government buildings).

Further, you misunderstand what liberals want. The Health Care legislation
is but a means to an end, not the end itself. The biggest disaster in the
recent legislation is not the legislation itself, it is the hubris
engendered in the progressive mindset. Now there is nothing they will not
consider feasible.