Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Keeping car electronics alive while changing battery - homebrewapproach?

Joe wrote:
On Mar 25, 6:07 pm, wrote:
I need to clean the terminals and change out my car battery.
I would rather not lose the setttings on my radio.
But I also would rather not invest in a charger just for this
application.

I have several variable voltage DC power supplies (supplying about 1A).
Could I use such a supply set at say about 13-14V to supply temporary
power while the battery is removed?

Other than getting the voltage and polarity right, anything to be
worried about here or any chance of causing damage (to either car
electonics or to my power supply)?

Thanks

A cigarette lighter adapter and a 9V battery ought to work with most
cars, IIRC.

Joe

Hi,
Firmware does not need power to keep the contents.
Other learned parameters can e relearned after battery is reconnected.
Couple fill up and some usual driving will be all that needed.