Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hardwood Flooring

Nova wrote in
:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Any advantage of one or the other when considering pre-finished VS
unfinished wood flooring other than the obvious work involved in
finishing the raw stuff?

I've never seen a piece of pre-finished flooring that didn't have a
slight bevel on all the edges of the face side of each board. The
pre-finished still looks good to me, but if you want a perfectly
flat/even floor (no crumb/dirt catchers) then I'd say unfinished would
be the way to go.

Some of the ones have huge bevels on the sides (so you could install it
over grass in the yard?) and it takes a while to find one with a minimal
bevel. We finally found some maple with only a small bevel and that's
what's in the living room.

In other rooms, we put in engineered hardwood. It looks good, and
doesn't have those annoying bevels.

Just about the only unfinished I've seen around here (except maybe
through specialty stores) has been the red oak at Menards. The
prefinished is much more available. (Sometimes you can get enough of the
color you want on sale, too.)

My sister has cork in her house, and it doesn't feel any different than
regular materials and looks to be holding up ok. It still does groove
and dent if you, say, roll a chair over the same spot.

Puckdropper