Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Hardwood Flooring

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:260320101808055432%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , Leon
wrote:

Basically what I am saying here is that the permanent upgrades should not
have to be replaced. Laminated floors and carpet will eventually show
wear
and need to be replaced. You cannot rejuvenate carpet or Pergo.

I've been lurking on this thread, as it's pertinent to our situation.
Insurance claim for water damage, about 500 sq ft of hardwood to be
replaced in living room and dining room (continuous floor, so it all
comes out).

Thanks to everyone who's contributed. It's been a great help.

What's coming out is thin strip oak. We've spent about 10 days with
samples spread all over the place.

We finally settled on Jatoba ("Brazilian Cherry"), real wood, with a
matte finish.

Dave,

Be aware if you're putting the brazilian cherry in yourself. It is *very*
prone to splitting when you drive the fasteners (nails or staples). Many
times, I've had the entire tongue split off when I've driven the first
fastener.

Not trying to talk you out of it, it's beautiful stuff, just want you to be
aware.