Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Hardwood Flooring

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 3/26/10 1:35 PM, Leon wrote:

A flooring company that sells solid hard wood flooring, engineered hard
wood
flooring, carpet, tile, and laminate/Pergo style flooring told me that
only
real wood floors and ceramic style tile are considered permanent
upgrades.
Everything else will have to be replaced, eventually.

Interesting. I guess that would certainly depends on the product *and*
installation.
Many of us have seen bad solid hardwood floor product/installation that
took less work to replace than repair/refinish.

Basically what I am saying here is that the permanent upgrades should not
have to be replaced. Laminated floors and carpet will eventually show wear
and need to be replaced. You cannot rejuvenate carpet or Pergo.

Some of the engineered stuff I've seen, had close to 3/16 hardwood top
veneer, with the stain penetrating the entire ply. You could sand and
refinish that stuff without re-staining.

Engeneered wood floring is considered permanent. Don't confuse it with
laminate flooring.

My wife is in love with Cork for the kitchen. I'm looking into it. I
like the 1'x3' and longer sizes I'm seeing, too. Seems like installation
with one man could be done in a day.

Cork is cool, it was real popular in the late 50's and early 60's, but it
does wear out and tends to eventually show wear tracks.