Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default OT -- off grid power systems

Steve W. wrote:
Ted Frater wrote:
David Lesher wrote:
I'd like to chat offline with someone who has installed a solar
array system that feeds your load AND backfeeds to the grid
{"meter backwards"}.

And/or, I'm looking for a pointer to forums [formi??] centered
around such.

Weve been off grid for some 39 yrs.
used diesels for power generation, on demand systems by Lister, called
the startamatic set up.
5 yrs ago found 3 tons of nicad alkaline( sodium hydroxide ) batteries.
so then invested in an 3kw "outback" US system of charger/inverter.
Been in use for 6 months and has proved very efficient.
Next step is to use one of our 6/1 diesels running on straight
vegetable oil as a dc generator to eliminate the use of fossil fuel.
Will need to make a suitable alternator aka windmill permanent magnet type.
as for solar, this could be a possibility but due to the poor UK
weatherm sunshine is not reliable enough for us.
also the cost of connecting to our uk grid is prohibitive, due to the
distance.
Google for outback there the best right now for what you want.
Ted
Dorset
uk

I though UK sunshine was measure in inches per hour...!!!

I built a couple of the MEN style conventional wind turbines a few years
ago. They work OK but I'm thinking of building a couple vertical vane
units to eliminate many problems that you have with conventional wind
turbines. No need for a wind vane or directional control. Should be able
to put the actual generator at the base and use a simple shaft up to the
vanes. MUCH easier service that way.

With all the Amish around here now I might even have a market for them!
Most of them use an automatic diesel system for the milk house to
provide vacuum and cooling and air power.

Re Vertical axis wind turbine,
My son ,( now 26) researched, designed and built for his senior school
CDT final year project some 10 yrs ago a 10ft tall vertical axis 3 blade
darius windurbine for just this purpose.
The intersting bit was the blade making. If you like I can write up what
we did.We still have all the. bits somewhere in a shed. we used an all
metal construction for them.very strong and simple.
however the advantages of this type of wind turbine are outweighed by
its poorer efficiency than the horizontal axis type.To get the same
power output they need to be twice as big.
Ie there only 50% as efficient as the other type.Sorry to say.
whatever anyone else may say.
In 15mph wind tests it spun well , tho it was out of balance due to
blade inaccuraces
We also had a neibour who built a horizontal axis turbine some 20ft dia.
using 4 3ft dia cones. this was effectively a drag machine with the
torque output being the difference between the drag of the down wind
going cups and the upwind . going ones.
Never heard how he got on. Been dismantled some time.
Can find out again if you would like to know.
Ted
in Dorset UK.