Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,alt.machines.cnc

Default DIY surge protection...

westom wrote:

On Mar 26, 4:55 am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Why is so much of the Teleco plant fiber optic, that requires no
electrical protection?

So again you cannot answer the question.

What question? Why you keep trolling with your outdated and wrong
ideas?

So as a hate monger, you
must change the subject. Every CO has copper wires.

No. Not even at power line is copper these days. The local
switching center is all fiber optic, and the power lines are aluminum.

Every CO has
typically 100 surges with each thunderstorm.

Try to prove that. You can't, because it's another factoid you
created with a box of Ex-lax.

And damage must never happen.

Yet it used to, before they started the conversion to fiber optics.
It happened quite often. That's why they were constantly reparing their
physical plant. The old leaded cable had to be pressurized with dry
nitrogen to keep water out when lighting pinholed the lead. They used
to monitor the tanks, and if too much was leaking, they used an
ultrasonic sniffer to find the pinholes.

Why? They don't waste money on plug-in protectors. They
spend massively less money for the protectors that actually do
protection.

Sigh. They did use plug in protectors on the phone lines. EDCO made
them, but the market is a lot smaller these days. Now they are sold for
PBX systems.

Every incoming wire in every cable connects short to
earth ground via a 'whole house' protector.

So, they have surge suppressors on optical cable?

Because that is the
protection that even makes direct lightning strikes irrelevant.

Bull****. A direct strike can blow a hole through a building, take
out the switching system for the plant's 48 VC power system, and leave
it a smoking wreck.

That is how it was done 100 years ago.

Sure it was.

That is based even in the
principles demonstrated by Franklin in 1752.

Yawn. Franklin was an early, "Hold my beer" type. He was an ignorant
bumbler who was lucky he didn't die from his belief that lightning could
be harnessed to provide electricity.

Florida was switching to fiber optic trunklines and smaller switch
centers 20+ years ago. My copper phone line runs less than one mile
before it is converted to fiber, combined with a lot of other lines,
then routed to a switching center about the size of a single car
garage. You're at least 30 years behind the times, and ignorant as
ever.

Keep posting your nonsense. Everyone can see you for what you are.

Hate mongers? Yes, I despise liars and idiots with nothing but
flimsy straw men.

Rather than admit reality, you would throw out fiber optics as a
solution? What is the best solution per dollar? What makes even
direct lightning strikes to utility wires irrelevant? A 'whole house'
protector connected to the only thing always necessary for surge
protection - earth ground.

You wouldn't know reality if it hit you in the face.

What defines every protection layer? Each layer always has one
thing - single point earth ground. What must magic box protectors
avoid discussing to protect obscene profit margins? Earth ground.

Yawn. Keep spouting your narrow minded message. BTW, have you ever
heard of EDCO? Friends of mine just bought their factory building to
move their manufacturing business.

Spin and accusation does not change reality.

The stop spinning and accusing.

COs suffer hundreds of
surges without damage - because the technology was even understood 100
years ago.. Protection is always about where energy dissipates. A
protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

Sigh. The classic CO is a dinosaur. Technology has passed it by.
Learn what is really going on so you don't keep embarrassing yourself.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida