Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Anyone Have Comcast Cable?

On 3/26/2010 3:12 PM, bud-- wrote:
MICHELLE H. wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the helpful responses so far, I really do appreciate it!
Just so I understand this, let me ask something else. Unfortunately, I
don't have a newer TV with a "QAM" built in digital converter. But if I
did have one of those types of TVs, could I tape one channel through the
cable box, by using the RCA jacks plugged into the VCR, and then just
turn the TV to another channel and watch something else?

Your QAM tuner TV connected to cable can only watch channels that are
not scrambled. All the high channels (probably all that you asked about)
will be scrambled, so your QAM tuner also needs a cable card or the TV
needs to be fed by a converter. With a cable card you _may_ be able to
get 16:9 HD channels that you can't with the lower end (free) converters.

From reading this thread hopefully you know the right questions to ask
Comcast (if you call them to verify what appears here). Knowing the
questions is a real big part of getting the information you need.

Unfortunately you can't get a straight answer form Comcast about which
channels are not encrypted. In some markets those may only be the locals.