Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Am I a fool to buy this mill/drill?

On Mar 26, 4:51*pm, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
Jim Wilkins writes:
A "two-by-four" here is within carpenter's tolerance of 40 x 90mm, and
"inch" planks are 19 - 20mm thick.

OK, that's what we do, too. *Whatever happened to the good old inch? *

When I was a kid in the 1950's I 'helped' my father renovate old
houses. Some were built with rough-sawn framing a full 2" by 4", more
recent ones had planed framing timbers for easier handling that
averaged 1-1/2" to 1/5/8" by 3-1/2" to 3-3/4". At that time we could
have the millyard plane the rough wood to custom thickness to match
the house we were working on.

I saw my oak to a target thickness of 5/4".
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/H...53242652915618

jsw