Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Hardwood Flooring

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Any advantage of one or the other when considering pre-finished VS
unfinished wood flooring other than the obvious work involved in finishing
the raw stuff?

I'm thinking total cost and durability, etc.

I'm told pre-finished lasts longer but is tougher to install... But I'm
doing the install so...

I installed "engineered" Maple flooring in my bathroom about 6~7 years ago.
Holding up very well. "Engineered" wood flooring is all wood but made like
plywood. The finish has a 25 year warranty IIRC, the top layer is supposed
to be thick enough to sand down and refinish if that ever needed to be done.
My floor floats and was no harder to install than something like Pergo.

Pergo and other "fake stuff" is NOT for me so don't bother telling about
it.

A flooring company that sells solid hard wood flooring, engineered hard wood
flooring, carpet, tile, and laminate/Pergo style flooring told me that only
real wood floors and ceramic style tile are considered permanent upgrades.
Everything else will have to be replaced, eventually.