Posted to rec.woodworking
rmorton[_3_] rmorton[_3_] is offline

Default Hardwood Flooring

On 3/26/2010 1:11 PM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Any advantage of one or the other when considering pre-finished VS
unfinished wood flooring other than the obvious work involved in finishing
the raw stuff?

I'm thinking total cost and durability, etc.

I'm told pre-finished lasts longer but is tougher to install... But I'm
doing the install so...

Pergo and other "fake stuff" is NOT for me so don't bother telling about it.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Installed a prefinished wood floor about 3 years ago and it still looks
like it came out of the package yesterday even with a bunch of crumb
cruncher grand kids tearing thru all the time. I , IMHO, didn't find it
any more difficult to install than unfinished other than taking a lot of
time out to change saw blades. The finish will definitely chew thru
blades and it does require sharp ones to come out looking nice. Just
out of curiousity I hit a scrap piece with 60 grit, hand rubbed, and
dust flew every where but after I rubbed the dust off I could barely see
any difference in the finish. Shouldn't have to worry about trying to
refinish it ever but if it gets that bad would probably be easier to
just remove and replace the floor.