Posted to rec.woodworking
busbus busbus is offline

Default Working for a living...

On Mar 26, 12:43*am, Upscale wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:05:32 -0700, "Nonny" wrote:
We have 3-5 generations now living on that.

Ok, but consider the limitations of such a life. Maybe because of
apathy, sheer laziness, or even medical difficulties, someone is
living such a life. No future, never having any real discretionary
income, nothing ever to look forward to except for more of the same.
It's debilitating, depressing and a really difficult existence to
follow. Not at all attractive. I don't consider that living.

That's is exactly the point: these people who were supposed to use the
system to get back on their feet have instead decided to live off of
it for literally generations. There is no incentive to get off.

True, they know no better. And maybe THAT is the real problem. We
keep on giving these people fish whenever they are hungry and never
teach them how to fish nor do we make an environment in which they
even WANT to fish. They have become a group of circus seals who bark
and get a fish tossed their way. Not enough to live off of, so they
bark some more, but enough that they don't have any reason to go out
and fend for themselves.

There is a lot of bashing going on in here and, quite frankly, all
around the country. It is really disheartening. People who disagree
with what is happening politically are being slammed, from Obama
himself on down the line. We are all called extremists because we
have the audacity to think differently and to speak up. We are
labeled as racists because we disagree with a President who happens to
have darker skin than any past President. Heck, we have even been
labeled as terrorists because we dare to push back and speak up. I
thought that was why Freedom Of Speech was in the very first section
of The Bill Of Rights? I guess not....

I have posed this sort of question many times over the past week or so
and I have not gotten any response from the progressives in here. Why
did we have to scrap everything that was already in place and replace
it with a new, EXPENSIVE bill? (Oh, and why was the student loan
program bundled in a freaking health care bill? But that is a wholly
different topic!) We had the safety nets in place and have had them
in place for 40+ years now. Medicare and Medicaid were supposed to
fix these sorts of problems but they haven't. If government could not
afford those be-all and end-all programs, how the heck can it afford
this one? (Answer: eventually they can't. There is only so much
blood in the host and whenever the parasites have drained it all, they
kill the host and the parasites go hungry.)

Here is my question: Why not fix what is there already? Seriously.
And by fixing, I mean do not change any laws, do not increase taxes,
do not decrease taxes (yet), and take a serious look at what we
already have to clean out all of the bullcrap. The reason is that
government is not in the business of business. And they SHOULDN'T be--
that is not its role, at least not in America. The only thing they
know to do is to increase taxes to pay for an ever increasing deficit.

I have suggested it befo Hire a bunch of Wal-Mart and/or/ Home
Depot and/or Lowes and/or any number of people who have run businesses
and have them come in to clean house. I am 100% sure they will find
tremendous inefficiencies in every government run program. And I am
also sure that they can define processes and procedures that will
drastically reduce the waste and inefficiencies and the nest result
will be a huge amount of money that can actually be given back to the
citizens of this country. That way, the programs that are already in
place will do what they were intended to do, the liberals get what
they want, and everybody will get a little bit of money back into
their pockets.