Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo Tom Ivar Helbekkmo is offline

Default Am I a fool to buy this mill/drill?

Jim Wilkins writes:

I can work comfortably in either system as long as the graduations on
the machine are the same as the dimensions on the drawing. There are
too many things that demand close attention when machining to rely on
mental math.

Do you see any products made to inch dimensions in Norge?

None at all. Not for a long time, now. We still speak of lumber in
inch dimensions, even though it's no longer actually cut like that (a
two-by-four is thinner here than in the US, but we still call it a
two-by-four in everyday parlance) -- but that's the only use I can think
of. Oh, one mo yardsticks are called "inch sticks" here, even though
they're now marked in metric units.

The mini-lathe I bought has a nice solution on the handwheel scales on
the cross- and topslide: since it's built for the European market, it
has metric lead screws throughout, and the slides advance 1 mm per
revolution of the handwheels. However, the scales are marked with 40
divisions. So, four units is a tenth of a millimeter, and each mark is
"a quarter of a tenth", or 0.025. Not too difficult, but why not 50
divisions? Because 1/40 mm is very close to 1/1000", and that's the
unit you see all over the literature, on the net, and so on. Smart!

-tih
--
Self documenting code isn't. User application constraints don't. --Ed Prochak