Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default is electric heating likely to become cheaper than gas heating in future?

"MM" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:09:30 -0000, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 21:50:45 +0000, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

MM wrote:

The way that you are making savings is to heat less of your home.

Exactly! You finally understood.

I understood from the begining, you apparently didn't.

Here's another clue, fit TRVs.

I have them already. They're Honeywell.

Or if that's beyond your limited talents, simply turn the radiators off
in the rooms that you don't use.

Oh, and when I'm not using the room I normally use, e.g. I've gone to
the shops or the library, then the room is still being heated? Have I
got that right? Are you recommending I do that? Heat an unoccupied
room for several hours?

'Cos I'd just like to make sure where you're coming from!

Heck, that was difficult.

But doesn't address my requirement to NOT heat parts of the house I am
not in, including not heating up the pipework unnecessarily. And if I
turned the rads off completely, how would I take the chill off to
protect against frost damage when it's really cold? (Recall that I
already said I'll switch on the CH during the night sometimes just for
that purpose.)

Or am I expected to set an alarm for 3am, then get up and go around
the house turning on all the turned off rads?

MM

Set the TRVs to the frost stat position.

Fine. And the room I am in? How does that get heated? Switch on the
oil boiler and wait 20 minutes, or switch on the fan heater and wait
10 seconds?

MM

It could be heated by turning the radiator on 20 minutes before you used it.
You are spending 8 hours a day in there so you should have a good idea of
when you need the heating to turn on. And use the fan heater if you go in
early and and need the quick heat.

Heating the HW also heats up pipework that is "wasted" but you accept that
it is cheaper to use oil than electricty for that purpose. It is probably
the same pipework that your CH uses for the most part (ie the bit between
the boiler and any control valves) that is heated and wasted.

I believe that with a good timed programmer and the use of your TRVs that
you could save more money by using oil for your heating than by using
electricity.

Cheers

Adam