Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default is electric heating likely to become cheaper than gas heating in future?

"MM" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 18:07:01 -0000, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

And you press the switch that costs you more money than heating heating by
oil.

So you reckon I could have got the same amount of *targeted* warmth
(i.e. only where I am at at any given moment) over the past 110 days
from less than a £100's worth of heating oil? Because that is how much
I've spent on top of my usual electricity bill. One hundred pounds.
Less than a quid a day. Do you reckon your CH is costing you less than
a quid a day?

MM

Over the winter months my heating bill was more than a quid a day.
I do not go for the completely unheated house though. I also heat the
hallway, landing and bathroom. I would find it rather unplasant having no
heating on at all in those rooms.

My winter heating cost me £130 for 90 days. Of course I might be out of the
house for a lot longer than you or prefer a cooler temperature. The room
stat in the hall is usually set at 17 deg.

Have you thought about a wireless roomstat that you can take around with
you?
By all means use the electric fan for the instantaneous heating when you
first enter a cold room but turn the radiator on. As the radiator heats up
(so seem to have a big time lag) you can then turn the fan off and you can
control your room temperature with the remote stat.

Adam