Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default TOT; Smoking Kangoo

"Unbeliever" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
"Onetap" wrote in message
On 23 Mar, 18:48, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

If you do get a new van can I suggest the VW Caddy. The ashtray is
actually
usefull in that one unlike the one in my Vauxhaull Combo:-)

Adam- Hide quoted text -

The van is a place of work and TMH could be fined for smoking in his
own van. The van smoking is OK though.

Not if he is the only person that uses the van.

I am not sure that the smoking rules apply to tradesmen anyway. I have
worked in more houses and building sites where people are smoking
than where smoking is banned.

Adam

Not so Adam, I believe that there have been several cases of solo van
drivers being fined for smoking at the wheel in such cases - the vehicle
is classed as their place of work and falls within the law.

Every case I have seen is in a vehicle that is used by other drivers or had
a passenger. If TMH has exclusive use of the van, then like, me he can smoke
in his van.
eg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/7025671.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7524526.stm

Now I wonder if that would apply to those die-hard smokers who drive the
bare chassis's of lorries, busses and vans down the M6 to the vehicle body
shops come under that law?

A very interesting legal interpretation this, and *if* there are any
bona-fide lawyers lurking in this group who know the legal answer to this,
could you respond with the facts (barrack room lawyers need not reply)?

I am not sure that the smoking rules apply to tradesmen anyway. I have
worked in more houses and building sites where people are smoking
than where smoking is banned.

IIRC, the "ban" does not apply to occupied houses where the owners/tenants
allows workmen to smoke - as for building sites, I suspect that the
council 'Gestapo's' seldom frequent these places to enforce the law, but I
would suggest that smoking within the confines of a legally 'enclosed
space' on such a site would constitute an offence.

I am sure that it is an offence, it is just that, as you say, the council do
not enter such sites and enforce it. I also believe that it is an offence to
smoke in a customers house even if the owners allowed you to.

Adam