Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default PIC16F877A-I/P question

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 16:52:23 -0400, "Oppie"
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
.. .
That's the 10 minute review, hope it helps - Oppie

Or switch to the PIC16F887 or other micro with two comparators
on-board. As typical with Microchip, the newer parts are also
considerably cheaper than the long-in-the-tooth PIC16F877 (way less
than half the price in 100's).

The OP had the chip in a development board as I recall. Was just a learning
tool.

Right, but 40-pin parts are typically socketed, and he can probably
get a sample for free from Microchip, so it's just a matter of
deciding to put the effort in to learn (or not).

I did remember some MCUs that had analog comparators included but was not
going to spend any more time researching. Hey, at least it is one of the
flash devices and not the old OTP parts.

LOL. I blew the dust of my EPROM eraser just recently (something to do
with customizing a car engine controller). Good riddance to that
stuff, though you never needed to worry (as much) about program
retention. We're using OTP-only (no windowed version) 8051 variants in
production still, it's not really that bad to develop for them if you
spring for a real-time emulator. I don't think I wasted more than one
or two OTP chips in several develpment cycles.