Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New EPA demands for homes built before 1978!

On Mar 25, 3:56*pm, "Jay-T" wrote:
It is actually a big issue, and very few people seem to know about it -
especially contractors.

The short version is basically that as of Aprill 22, 2010, anyone who does
work for compensation who is working on a residentially property built
before 1978, and who either disturbs (scraps, sands, etc.) more than 6
square feet of paint on the interior or 20 square feet of paint on the
exterior, or does any demolition, or does any window replacements, must be a
certified lead renovator and must follow certain procedures etc. *This
includes landlords who do their own work on residential properties that they
own and rent out.

If I can find the links to the actual law, I'll post them.

In the meantime, here is a link to 16 short videos about the new lead-based
paint renovation rules:

http://www.realtor.org/government_af...t_realtors_faq

The link is from the National Association of Realtors website.

Among the videos, there is one that is near the end that is particularly
interesting. *It's the one entitled, "Is it possible to avoid this rule?"

It says that if a home was built after 1950, the is a very good chance that
the home has no lead-based paint in the interior. *The reason is that most
paint manufacturers stopped producing lead-based interior paint beginning in
1950. *In 1960, most paint manufacturers stopped manufacturing lead-based
exterior paint.

Michael Dobony wrote:
If you are not federally certified to work with lead based paint you
cannot touch ANY project larger than 6 sq ft indoors or 20 sq ft
outside PERIOD! No home owner can work on it if it disturbs any more
than the above dimensions! Rule goes into effect on April 22, 2010.
The ONLY exception is if you spend several hundred $$$$$$$$$$$$ to
get your home certified lead free by a certified contractor. With 28
days to go there are only 10 various certified contractors within 100
miles of my zip code. $300 for the application, which takes 6 weeks
for the efficient gov to rubber stamp the application, $100 for the
8-hour class, plus travel and food expenses, plus about $1,000
minimum for the required equipment. A simple, cost-effective, timely
option for home owners *Nobrains and his henchmen are on the loose
to help destroy the US.- Hide quoted text -

6 aquare feet in what time frame? I can do 6 square feet in 10
minutes or in one day or one week????