Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default New EPA demands for homes built before 1978!

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:59:11 -0500, RickMeister wrote:

Another example of right wing hysteria.

The law applies to "renovations performed for compensation." In other
words, contractors.

Yeah, that was the way I'd heard it, too.

Wonder if there's an exemption for working on 'new work' done on a
property dating from before 1978? e.g. if someone puts up a new wall* in
a 1960's house and a contractor later comes in to work solely on that
wall, do they still have to follow the lead rules - even when they know
the area they're working on post-dates the 1978 cut-off?

* or, taking that a step further, something like an add-on room or an
adjoined garage.

It's a fairly simple law that protects children

Funny how much lead plumbing there used to be around, and we're all still
here :-) Maybe that's different, and anything in water passes through the
body, and the danger's just in airborne particles...

cheers

Jules